The first Wesleyan church to be built in the village of Trefeglwys was in 1808 but was re-erected and opened in 1872. The majority of members at that time were Welsh speaking, and it was a member of the Llanidloes Circuit in those days.
‘Zoar” celebrated its centenary in 1972, when our minister was the Reverend Wallace Edwards, it was a great afternoon and evening, with a tea provided by the ladies. All who attended had a memorable time.
There are very few members with us today that remember those pre-1972 years, when there were three services on a Sunday. We are now down to one when on alternate Sundays we join with Llawryglyn church. Uniting in this way has helped us to survive.
In the year 2000 a new school (the first to be opened in Wales in the new millennium) and a magnificent Memorial Hall were opened in the village. It was a great event coinciding with community celebrations.
Such a large complex has to be justified, so fifty new houses are to be built therefore we are going to see a growth in community numbers. Our hope must be that we see a growth in our church membership as a result of these proposals.
Our mission as members must be first and foremost, to further the work of God in this community, and continuing to provide a place of worship. At present we are desperately in need of a few more members so that we can meet our financial commitments comfortably, dipping into reserves of cash is a recipe for disaster for any church. We continue to pray that Methodism in Trefeglwys will see a revival.